[lg policy] Georgian alphabet created by St. Mesrob Mashtots in early 5th century (?)

r.amirejibi-mullen at QMUL.AC.UK r.amirejibi-mullen at QMUL.AC.UK
Fri Jun 10 17:49:59 UTC 2011

Most non-Georgian, as well as some Georgian, scholars support the view
that the Georgian alphabet was created after the spread of
Christianity in the fourth century in order to translate essential
Christian texts. Pre-Christian inscriptions in Georgia are written in
Aramaic and Greek scripts. The oldest inscriptions in the Georgian
alphabet date back to the 430s AD and are found near Bethlehem in
Palestine.  The oldest Georgian manuscripts also date from the fifth
century.

There is no strong evidence that Parnavaz created the Alphabet we use
now. I think it just a myth created in the 10th c. for ideological
reasons. However there is strong evidence that Masrop did not create it.

Please see:

1) Gamkrelidze, Thomas. (1994). Alphabetic Writing and the Old
Georgian Script. A Typology and Provenience of Alphabetic Writing
Systems (Anatolian and Caucasian Studies). New York: Caravan Books.

2) Boeder, Winfried. (1975). Zur Analyze des altgeorgishen Alphabets.
In Gerhardt, D; Hill, P; Kratzel, G (eds.). Forschung und Lehre.
Hamburg: Slavisches Seminar, pp. 17-34.

3) Kemertelidze, Nino. (1999).  Theories on the origin of kartuli
(Georgian) writing (alphabet). In Cram David, Linn Andrew Robert &
Nowak Elke (eds.), History of Linguistics. Amsterdam: John Benjamins
Publishing Company. pp. 227-234.