[lg policy] Ukraine: The language bill may cause an extraordinary session in the Parliament

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 4 14:51:22 UTC 2012

The language bill may cause an extraordinary session in the Parliament

The leader of the Party of Regions faction Oleksandr Yefremov does not
rule out the possibility of convening the Parliament extraordinary
session, including for the adoption of the draft bill on language
policy, he said at the briefing in VR.

"The 30-day period is finishing this week, and we have the opportunity
to vote for this language bill. If we realize that we have the
sufficient number of votes on this bill, we will start its adoption,"
Yefremov said.

"If there is no vote, we will continue to work on this issue. There
are other very serious issues that we need to consider in the short
term, and it can cause the session extension. I think when other
issues are prepared for the adoption process, the language bill can be
considered as well," Yefremov said.

Among other urgent issues Yefremov pointed out the creation of new
jobs and employers’ complaints of the increasing pressure from the law
enforcement agencies.

http://en.for-ua.com/news/2012/07/03/135118.html

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)