[lg policy] Fwd: [LINGANTH] CFP: Social Representations of Language in Hispanic America (Boletin de Filologia, XLXIX/2, Dec. 2014)

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 6 21:18:57 UTC 2013

Forwarded rom:  LINGANTH at listserv.linguistlist.org

CALL FOR PAPERS

Social Representations of Language in Hispanic America (Special Issue of
the Boletín de Filología, XLXIX/2, to appear in Dec. 2014) [
www.boletinfilologia.uchile.cl]

Editors:

Darío Rojas, Cristián Lagos and Marco Espinoza
Department of Linguistics, Faculty of Philosophy and Humanities, University
of Chile

Contact: darioroj at u.uchile.cl

The mental models about language shared by the members of a cultural group,
and which serve them to comprehend and perceive the complex linguistic
reality, have been studied under different labels and from different
theoretical and methodological approaches: language ideologies, linguistic
cultures, folk theories of language, or, in more general terms, as social
representations of language. Similarly, they have been approached from the
framework of studies on metalanguage and from studies on glottopolitics.
The focus of these anthropologically inspired approaches is how language
becomes a symbolic instrument in the construction of identities and how,
though this semiotic process, we can observe the social and cultural life
of a community. Besides its anthropological dimension, the relevance of
knowing these mental models lies in the fact that any approach that studies
language in its social context must necessarily take into account the
notions of belief, perception and attitude. As human beings we do not only
“speak”, we also reflect about our main communication instrument and
express judgments about our own linguistic behavior and that of others.  On
the other hand, it has been proven that speakers’ representations about
their language(s) have an influence on language change, language learning
and on language maintenance, death and revitalization.

Acknowledging the intrinsic importance of this type of research and the
growing interest it has attracted over the last few years in those devoted
to the study of language, we are calling for contributions for a
forthcoming special issue of the Boletín de Filología, which will gather
studies on the social representations of language and the languages of
Hispanic America from the diverse disciplinary areas of language studies
and from different theoretical and methodological perspectives. The Spanish
language will be the main focus of this issue, but we also welcome
contributions on indigenous or immigrant languages in contact with Spanish
in Hispanic America. The relevant sociolinguistic landscape for this
special issue, i.e., Hispanic America, is characterized by an overwhelming
dominance of Spanish, the language of European colonizers, over the native
indigenous languages in most countries of the region, indigenous languages
which are at different points on the continuum of language endangerment. It
is also possible to find languages for international communication, such as
English, as a result of globalization, and a series of minority languages
and varieties spoken by immigrants, or in border areas or in situations of
linguistic and cultural contact. All these language varieties coexist in a
complex network of social, cultural, political and economic relations.
Consequently , there is a wide range of issues that can be approached from
the perspective of social representations of language, specifically in the
case of Hispanic America, an area with aspects still unexplored, such as
the social representations of language in migration processes or the mutual
influence between indigenous and non-indigenous linguistic cultures, among
others.

The deadline for receipt of abstracts is 31 October 2013.

The deadline for receipt of the final paper is 15 April 2014.

Languages: Spanish or English

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com