[lg policy] Re: The debate on mandatory Swedish in Finland's schools

Dave Sayers D.Sayers at SWANSEA.AC.UK
Wed Aug 28 06:02:14 UTC 2013

After I sent this email, I was contacted by Ingrid Piller with an exciting invitation
to adapt the email for the blog Language on the Move. I expanded on it in a few
places, and it's now on the site here: http://goo.gl/JeflhE.

Since I'm sending this email, I'll link to another very interesting article I've
subsequently come across about Swedish and Finnish in Finland: http://goo.gl/x4ZGso.
It's by a Swedish-speaking Finn, with a mix of personal insights and research findings.

I hope all this doesn't seem as though I'm trying to set up stall as an expert on
language issues in Finland (that does not describe me at all). I've just been living
here for a year and come across some interesting comparisons and contrasts to other
areas of the world, in particular the way the Swedish-speaking minority in Finland is
stereotyped as wealthy and powerful, which I think is an unusual stereotype -- not
unique by any means (e.g. Chinese minority in Indonesia), but unusual. Or is it?

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers
Honorary Research Fellow, Arts & Humanities, Swansea University, UK
dave.sayers at cantab.net
http://swansea.academia.edu/DaveSayers