[lg policy] Fwd: [Edling] US: Why Teach English?

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 28 13:41:11 UTC 2013

 ForwardedFrom:
<edling at bunner.geol.lu.se>

 The New Yorker

Why Teach English?

Whence, and where, and why the English major? The subject is in every
mouth—or, at least, is getting kicked around agitatedly in columns and
reviews and Op-Ed pieces. The English major is vanishing from our colleges
as the Latin prerequisite vanished before it, we’re told, a dying choice
bound to a dead subject. The estimable Verlyn Klinkenborg reports in the
Times that “At Pomona College (my alma mater) this spring, 16 students
graduated with an English major out of a student body of 1,560, a terribly
small number,” and from other, similar schools, other, similar numbers.

Full story:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2013/08/why-teach-english.html?mbid=gnep&google_editors_picks=true