[lg policy] Call for contributions, SS22 colloquium 'Impacts in Language Research: Crossing the Border from Research to Wellbeing'

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at cantab.net
Fri Jun 23 09:00:45 UTC 2017

We welcome abstract submissions for a colloquium titled 'Impacts in Language
Research: Crossing the Border from Research to Wellbeing', at Sociolinguistic
Symposium 22 (https://www.ss22.ac.nz/).
(Conference strand: Language and community)

Deadline: Friday 14 July.

Co-Convenors:
Jo Angouri (University of Warwick)
Karen Corrigan (Newcastle University)
Robert Lawson (Birmingham City University)
Dave Sayers (Sheffield Hallam University & Cardiff University)

The purpose of this Colloquium is to showcase sociolinguistic research which has: 1)
Identified problems of human well-being; 2) Developed research methods to offer
solutions and ways to translate its findings; 3) Achieved positive real world
outcomes as a result.

‘Problems of human wellbeing’ can take many forms. Examples include disabilities,
educational opportunities, access to justice, employment practices, gender equality,
and so on. Although Colloquium contributions must focus on some aspect of language in
society, no sub-disciplinary focus will be prioritised. Our only concern is the
application of language research in the pursuit of improved quality of life.

The process of achieving outcomes is not always linear of course, as the relationship
between social problems, research into them and outcomes that ameliorate them can be
really quite complex. Contributors are encouraged to delve into those complexities.
We also welcome case studies that highlight struggle and even failure in the pursuit
of outcomes, if they can provide practical lessons about the process of engagement.
Reflective accounts of what worked and why, and what can be done differently are
particularly suitable.

Further, we encourage review-type critical discussions of the meaning of ‘impact’ in
the contemporary sociolinguistic research landscape. Such contributions need not
feature primary empirical data, as long as they add substantively to our
understanding of this ascendant priority.

Given this focus, presentations will not be dominated by theory, method, or empirical
findings. While these are an important foundation, presentations will principally
focus on the hands-on details of applying one’s research findings to engage with
stakeholders in pursuit of tangible and replicable outcomes.

This agenda in a Colloquium context is thus a rather different genre to traditional
research presentations. Contributors will be supported in this by the co-convenors,
who between them have considerable experience in this area. We are also keen to
encourage contributors from a diverse range of geographical backgrounds, and at all
career stages (including postgraduates).

Please submit your abstract here:
https://goo.gl/forms/OOIaIuhbEN4tdDMq1

Hoping to hear from you soon!

Jo, Karen, Rob and Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers, ORCID no. 0000-0003-1124-7132
Senior Lecturer, Dept Humanities, Sheffield Hallam University | www.shu.ac.uk