[lg policy] Book Reviews for Language Policy

Jenna Cushing-Leubner cushi033 at umn.edu
Fri Apr 6 05:31:56 UTC 2018

Hello Sarah,

If it's still available, I would be very interested in reviewing Heller, M.
and McElhinny, B. (2017). *Language, Capitalism, Colonialism: Toward a
Critical History.*

I'm ccing my current institutional email address here.

Thank you!
Jenna Cushing-Leubner

Assistant Professor
Curriculum & Instruction - University of Wisconsin, Whitewater
cushingj at uww.edu

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Sarah Moore <SMoore at cal.org> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> As one of the book review editors for *Language Policy*, I would like to
> draw your attention to the titles listed below, which are available for
> review:
>
> ·        Baran, D. (2017). *Language in immigrant America.* CUP.
>
> ·        Heller, M. and McElhinny, B. (2017). *Language, Capitalism,
> Colonialism: Toward a Critical History*
> Oakes, L. & Peled, Y. (2018) *Normative Language Policy.*
>
> ·        Saxena. M. (2018). *Multilingualism, Globalization, and English:
> Ethnography of Language Education Policy in Action*
>
> If you are interested in reviewing any of these, please contact me
> directly at smoore at cal.org, *taking care not to email the whole list*. To
> avoid accidentally doing this, you may wish to forward this email to me
> rather than simply reply. Please indicate the title you are interested in *and
> a full postal address*.
>

> Reviews should be no longer than 1,000 words in length and are generally
> due three months after receipt of the book. Editorial guidelines and more
> details about the journal are available at:
>
> http://www.springer.com/linguistics/applied+linguistics/journal/10993
>

> I would be grateful if you could forward this list to any interested and
> qualified colleagues or students. Please also note our policy of only one
> review per person per year. If you have written a review for us recently, I
> would therefore appreciate it if you held off this time.
>
> Best,
>
> Sarah
>

> *Sarah C. K. Moore, Ph.D.*
>
> *Program Director, PreK12 EL Education*
>
> *Center for Applied Linguistics*
>
> *4646 40th St. NW*
>
> *Washington, DC 20016*
>
> *202-355-1546*
>
> *smoore at cal.org <smoore at cal.org>*

Jenna Cushing-Leubner
PhD Candidate
Instructor, Project TRUST research assistant, TERI partnership fellow
Curriculum & Instruction: Second Languages Education
University of Minnesota

Profile of our Heritage Language and Critical Pedagogy program at Roosevelt
High School (MinnPost, includes student voices/poetry)
<https://www.minnpost.com/education/2016/03/spanish-heritage-program-roosevelt-high-helps-boost-latino-graduation-rates-studen>

"Aren't some students too young to talk about critical issues" (Reclaiming
the language for social justice blogspost)
<https://reclaimingthelanguage.wordpress.com/2016/01/11/arent-some-students-too-young-to-talk-about-critical-issues/>

"Strength lives in languages" (UMN homepage profile)
<http://discover.umn.edu/news/teaching-education/strength-lives-languages>

"Learning in more than one language" (UMN Grad School Profile)
<https://www.grad.umn.edu/news/learningmorethanonelanguage>

*New!*
Cushing-Leubner, J. & King, K.A. (2015). Long-term English learners and
language education policy. In A. Yiakoumetti (Ed.) *Multilingualism and
language in education: Current sociolinguistic and pedagogical perspectives
from Commonwealth countries*. London: Cambridge University Press.

Cushing-Leubner, J., Adam, K., Bigelow, M., Hang, M., Ortega, L.,
Pergament, S.,Prifrel, R., Susens, S., & Allen, M. (2015). Promoting
resilience in diverse classrooms: The answers are not in the back of the
book. *MinneTESOL Journal, spring issue.  *
http://minnetesoljournal.org/spring-2015/promoting-resilience-in-diverse-classrooms-the-answers-are-not-in-the-back-of-the-book