[lg policy] Zaev Recants “Macedonian Language” Remarks

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 16:16:27 UTC 2018

   - Diplomacy <https://greece.greekreporter.com/category/diplomacy/>
   - Politics
   <https://greece.greekreporter.com/category/greek-news/politics/>

Zaev Recants “Macedonian Language” Remarks
By
Nick Kampouris <https://greece.greekreporter.com/author/nick/>
-
Dec 4, 2018
 72  3 Google +0  0  0  77
------------------------------

One of the controversial governmental buildings that were constructed
during Gruevski’s premiership between 2006 and 2016 in Skopje, in imitation
of Ancient Greek architectural styles.

Following the angry response
<https://greece.greekreporter.com/2018/12/04/anger-over-macedonian-language-in-greek-schools/>
from Athens over remarks allegedly made by the Former Yugoslav Republic of
Macedonia’s premier Zoran Zaev, the government in Skopje issued a statement
on Tuesday.

Zaev’s remarks, regarding the possibility of the ”Macedonian” language
being taught in Greek schools in the future, had allegedly been made as he
spoke to lawmakers on Sunday.

The new government statement says that ”as a country which aspires to join
the EU, we understand that countries take care of their own citizens, and
countries in the Balkans do not interfere in neighboring countries on any
given issue”.

The official statement went on to say, “We regret if (Zaev’s) comments were
understood in any other way.”

The FYROM communique also notes that ”we are strongly committed to full
implementation of the Prespa agreement
<https://greece.greekreporter.com/?s=Prespa+agreement>, and all of our
actions and statements are made in good faith to support the agreement.”

The statement also noted that ”language policies in both countries are not
determined by the Prespa agreement, and we understand and respect that the
question of what languages are taught in Greece is an issue of internal
affairs and domestic policy.”

Zaev, answering a question from an MP from the opposition right-wing VMRO
party, reportedly said on Sunday that the ”Macedonians” who live in Greece
will be able to be taught the ”Madeconian” language in Greek schools,
following the ratification of the Prespa agreement.

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com