[lg policy] £42k to help Inverclyde children learn languages

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 15:23:57 UTC 2018

 £42k to help Inverclyde children learn languages
Paul John Coulter
<http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/author/profile/76282.Paul_John_Coulter/>
@paulcoulter89
<http://www.twitter.com/@paulcoulter89> Reporter
[image: £42k to help Inverclyde children learn languages]

£42k to help Inverclyde children learn languages
<http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/my/account/emailthispage/>
Why an AncestryDNA Kit Is the Perfect Holiday Gift

Are you looking for a unique, personal gift to give this holiday season?
Start with AncestryDNA.
Read more
Promoted by Ancestry.com

PRIMARY schools in Inverclyde
<http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/search/?search=Inverclyde&topic_id=9107>
will share £42,000 to help children learn additional languages.

The Scottish Government cash is aimed at enabling every pupil to start
learning another language in P1, a second extra language by P5 and for
teaching to continue to the end of S3.

Employment minister Jamie Hepburn announced yesterday that £3 million will
be distributed to councils across the country this year to support the
scheme, with Inverclyde to receive £42,000.

It is estimated that a lack of language skills costs Scottish businesses
hundreds of millions of pounds a year in lost exports.

Funding will help towards the teaching of Mandarin, Gaelic, European
languages and British Sign Language.

Mr Hepburn said: “Learning languages in today’s global, multi-cultural
world is becoming more crucial than ever.

“Research shows that employers strongly favour candidates with language
skills and we want to ensure young Scots are equipped with the skills they
need in the global marketplace.

“That is why introducing school children to languages at a young age and
helping them to foster a long-lasting love of languages is so crucially
important.

“Our 1+2 language policy supports this ambition and I’m pleased to announce
we are allocating a further £3 million to schools in the 2018-19 draft
budget, bringing our total investment to £27.2 million since 2013.”

Ministers hope the extra cash will help continue a recent surge in the
number of young people gaining language Highers and skills-based
qualifications in recent years.

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com