[lg policy] President of Ghana National Association of Private Schools has charged the government to make E-library one of its flagship project.

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 15:27:43 UTC 2018

 President of Ghana National Association of Private Schools (GNAPS), Eric
Appiah, has charged the Akufo-Addo led government to make E-library one of
its flagship project.

Taking a cue from the One District One Factory project of the government,
Mr Appiah believes that One District One E-library in all the 216 districts
of the country will help make reading accessible at all levels of education.

Speaking at the launch of the annual GNAPS week celebration, the GNAPS
president noted that even though the government of Ghana continues to take
practical steps to remove barriers that impede access, equity and quality
of education, it is increasingly becoming necessary to visit one of the
most important outcomes of education thus reading with critical thinking
which seeks to address the language policy.

He said the information age has brought about rapid changes to every facet
of our lives and it is amazing how information and technology have brought
about tremendous improvement in the quality of lives of millions of people.

“It appears there is large information gap between our children and their
counterparts in the western world. Although we are in an era where search
engines such as Google and Kindle provides unlimited information about
anything and everything on the surface of the planet, we can hardly count
schools in our country which allows student access to the internet” he
added.

“It is prohibited to carry laptops or tablets even in our second cycle
institutions, yet these important tools are the libraries of the
twenty-first century. We cannot afford to keep our children in ignorance
whilst we live in a world where knowledge abounds” he stressed.

Mr Appiah stated that there must be a way to leverage the information age
to harness our own socio-economic development and attain the country’s
target for Strategic Development Goal (SDG) of 4.6% by 2030. “We should
ensure that all youth and a substantial proportion of the adults, both men
and women, achieve literacy and numeracy.”

The GNAPS president further called for a national reading programme at the
basic school level to augment the USAID reading project.

“It will make it mandatory to read certain books and submit book reports
which would ensure that children gradually develop from reading simply to
complex text and reading fiction to non-fiction and classical books”.

He said a nationwide reading contest like the National Science and Maths
Quiz should be instituted in the country.

The 2018 GNAPS week celebration is to reflect and undertake a deeper
retrospect on educational policies and practices that enhance the
socio-economic welfare of the people. The outcomes of the activities have
not only enhanced the cooperation and collaboration among stakeholders but
have strengthened the practice.

The theme for the 2018 GNAPS week celebration is ‘Promoting a reading
culture: the key to the information age.”

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com