[lg policy] Aberdeen primary school announces official launch of Mandarin language hub

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Mon May 7 15:08:36 UTC 2018

Aberdeen primary school announces official launch of Mandarin language hub
by Emma Morrice <https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/author/emmamorrice/>
07/05/2018, 7:07 am

   -
   <https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/primary-school-announces-official-launch-of-mandarin-language-hub/?share=facebook>
   -
   <https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/primary-school-announces-official-launch-of-mandarin-language-hub/?share=twitter>
   -
   <https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/primary-school-announces-official-launch-of-mandarin-language-hub/?share=email>

Danestone School launched its Confucius Classroom, which will be a central
location for all Aberdeen-based primary schools teaching the language to
pupils.
Send us a story <https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/send-us-a-story/>
Sign up to our *Daily* newsletter
<https://passport.dctdigital.com/?page=email&default-brand=Evening+Express&auto-subscribe=EE+-+Newsletter&default-group=Newspapers>

An Aberdeen primary school has announced its new hub for promoting the
teaching of Mandarin.

Danestone School launched its Confucius Classroom, which will be a central
location for all Aberdeen-based primary schools teaching the language to
pupils.

It aims to boost skills in children in line with Scotland’s 1+2 languages
policy, which allows every child the opportunity to learn two languages in
addition to their mother tongue by 2020.

The hub concept promotes joint planning of cultural activities, sharing
ideas and resources to stimulate the learning and teaching of Chinese
language and culture. The launch event included children singing in
Mandarin, and a mixture of Scottish music and dance.

Elaine Page, acting head teacher at Danestone School, said: “This was a
wonderful way to launch our Confucius Hub.

“This event showed that our children are not only enjoying learning
Mandarin but are also immersing themselves in the Chinese culture.”

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com