[lg policy] Is Anglicization a threat to the Swedish language?

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Wed May 23 19:08:10 UTC 2018

 Is Anglicization a threat to the Swedish language?
[image: Catherine Edwards]
Catherine Edwards
catherine.edwards at thelocal.com
@CatJREdwards <https://twitter.com/CatJREdwards>
17:23 CEST+02:00
membership exclusives <https://www.thelocal.se/tag/membership+exclusives>
swenglish <https://www.thelocal.se/tag/swenglish>swedish for members
<https://www.thelocal.se/tag/swedish+for+members>language
<https://www.thelocal.se/tag/language>anglicization
<https://www.thelocal.se/tag/anglicization>
Share this article
<https://www.thelocal.se/20180522/is-anglicization-a-threat-to-the-swedish-language#>
<https://www.thelocal.se/20180522/is-anglicization-a-threat-to-the-swedish-language#>
<https://www.thelocal.se/20180522/is-anglicization-a-threat-to-the-swedish-language#>
<https://www.thelocal.se/20180522/is-anglicization-a-threat-to-the-swedish-language#>
[image: Is Anglicization a threat to the Swedish language?]
English has become the working language in many Swedish companies. Photo:
AP Photo/Alastair Grant
If you've spent time in Sweden, you'll have noticed that English (and
Swenglish) is everywhere: in adverts, on TV, in schools, and probably in
the responses you get from well-meaning Swedes when you're trying to
practice Swedish. But just how much of an impact has English actually had
on the Swedish language – and on Swedish society more widely? And is it a
threat or an opportunity?
Sign up for our free *Today in Sweden* newsletter
<https://www.thelocal.se/members/register>
Get notified about breaking news on The Local
Share this article
<https://www.thelocal.se/20180522/is-anglicization-a-threat-to-the-swedish-language#>
<https://www.thelocal.se/20180522/is-anglicization-a-threat-to-the-swedish-language#>
<https://www.thelocal.se/20180522/is-anglicization-a-threat-to-the-swedish-language#>
<https://www.thelocal.se/20180522/is-anglicization-a-threat-to-the-swedish-language#>
Member comments
Melanie - 23 May 2018 10:14
Languages are beautiful and being able to speak more than one brings many
advantages . In my experience, the Swedes are doing a fantastic job of
speaking English and they should be proud of that. But I would loathe to
think that Swedish was on its way out of Swedish society.... Swedish is a
also a beautiful sounding language , therefore Swedish should be more
important and used more in Swedish society than English.

Other languages are also important and beneficial to learn - no harm
learning two, three or four!

It's not easy as an adult to learn a new language, I'm currently trying
myself . The best time to learn is early childhood when the child absorbs
the knowledge like a sponge without conscious thought.

Swedish is unique! Long may it be spoken!

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com