[lg policy] Kinnock: We need a Chief Government Linguist to promote modern languages

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 16:06:58 UTC 2018

Kinnock: We need a Chief Government Linguist to promote modern languages
Written by:

   - Stephen Kinnock MP

   - The House Magazine

Posted On:
*26th November 2018*

If the UK is to talk – and be heard – around the world in the post-Brexit
era we need a voice in government that is dedicated to modern languages,
says Stephen Kinnock MP.
[image: At a time when the UK is arguably at its most multicultural, and
multilingual, we need to harness the language skills that exist on our
doorstep, writes Stephen Kinnock] At a time when the UK is arguably at its
most multicultural, and multilingual, we need to harness the language
skills that exist on our doorstep, writes Stephen Kinnock
Credit:
PA Images

Languages are a vital part of our society and economy and yet their
importance is neglected and overlooked.

Being able to speak directly to those we deal with is an essential part of
being a global citizen. But in the United Kingdom, the number studying a
language is declining year after year.

The highly developed intercultural skills that come with learning another
language are absolutely vital for successful trade and diplomacy,
peace-making and peacekeeping. But the subject has no dedicated advocate in
government.

Despite their importance, it's a sad fact that modern languages continue to
face a major threat in the UK, with numbers across educational sectors in
decline.

In summer 2018 just 3,000 students sat German A-levels, which represents a
drop of 16 per cent on last year and a 45 per cent fall since 2010. French,
which is traditionally the most popular language in schools, has also
suffered a steep decline.

It is a tragic situation that we cannot allow to continue, otherwise we
face the very real prospect of losing these skills just at the time when
they are more essential than ever.

The Confederation of British Industry (CBI) in a report released this
month, *Educating for Business*, singled out the need to get language
teaching “right” as essential to achieving the government’s ambition for a
Global Britain.

I believe that we need a Chief Government Linguist to take control of the
situation: a civil service role that can coordinate and support policy in
relation to languages. They will be a recognisable ‘go to’ position
identified with languages with the ability to influence policy; someone who
can think strategically and work across departments.

Currently, despite many positive initiatives to boost languages, policy
relating to languages appears fractured and needs someone to guide it at a
central level.

All too often languages are pigeon-holed as being the responsibility of the
Department for Education, when in fact the ability to communicate
effectively across the globe is vital in many departments, from the
Ministry of Defence to the Department for International Development.

We need someone who can provide that overview and help Britain enjoy the
remarkable benefits of better language skills.

Research work funded by Government through the £16million Open World
Research Initiative managed by the Arts and Humanities Research Council
(AHRC) will explore the way learning languages has the power to improve our
society – and even our health.

For example, studies have shown that there are significant cognitive
benefits to speaking more than one language. There is clear evidence that
bilingualism can stall dementia for around four years and can dramatically
improve stroke recovery. Evidence is also beginning to emerge that learning
and practising a language later in life can also bring important cognitive
benefits.

And yet there is still no UK-wide languages policy, as language is a
devolved matter.

At a time when the UK is arguably at its most multicultural, and
multilingual, we need to harness the language skills that exist on our
doorstep and at the same time recognise that modern languages have a value
and importance in our contemporary society, helping social cohesion and
developing cultural awareness.

The world is changing, fast. The 21st-century economy will provide
opportunities for curious, culturally aware citizens with broad
communication skills.

An appreciation of modern languages can help underpin that outward-looking
mentality. But we need to act now, as it’s hard to turn the tap on when
languages infrastructure disappears. Linguists are not made overnight.

I am asking my fellow Parliamentarians to give some thought to the value of
languages, and what the UK would lose if they disappear.

We can take action and for a modest investment ensure there is someone that
makes sure issues around languages are better supported at an official
level.

*I will be sponsoring an event on Wednesday 28th in the Jubilee Room
between 4-5pm showcasing modern languages research, and discussing issues
facing languages in the UK. I would encourage parliamentary colleagues to
come along and learn more from a range of researchers and stakeholders.*

*Stephen Kinnock is Labour MP for Aberavon *
The house share This
Contributions from readers

There are currently no comments on this article - be the first to comment
by logging in <https://www.politicshome.com/user/login> or registering for
a free account <https://www.politicshome.com/sign-up>.
Search form

   -
   -

Partner Content

   - [image: Internet Advertising Bureau]
   IAB UK: Online advertising is like the Wild West… but not in the way you
   might think
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/technology/internet/house/house-magazine/99900/iab-uk-online-advertising-wild-west%E2%80%A6-not-way>

   The idea that online advertising is a wholly unregulated market is a
   myth. As we continue to develop self-regulation, IAB UK is committed
   to reducing fraud, increasing brand safety and improving the digital
   advertising experience for consumers
   - [image: eToro's Iqbal V. Gandham at a parliamentary reception on
   cryptocurrencies]
   What does the future hold for cryptocurrencies?
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/economy/business-regulation/house/house-magazine/99671/what-does-future-hold>

   October 31st marked Bitcoin’s tenth birthday. To celebrate, *The House*
   and investment platform eToro held a reception in Parliament to discuss the
   issues around cryptos and the blockchain technology that underpins them.
   Geoffrey Lyons reports.
   - [image: eToro's Iqbal Gandham]
   Is the crypto revolution as big as the internet?
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/economy/business-regulation/house/house-magazine/99015/crypto-revolution-big-internet>

   Iqbal Gandham, eToro’s UK managing director, thinks it’s bigger. He
   speaks to Geoffrey Lyons about the early days of the internet, crypto
   critics, and how the UK can become a global leader in the industry

Latest Issue

   - [image: the house 1633]

   - Sajid Javid: “Ministers must do a better job of selling this deal”
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/home-affairs/policing/house/house-magazine/100068/sajid-javid-%E2%80%9Cministers-must-do-better-job>
   - Tom Watson: 'If we don’t get an election, then obviously a people’s
   vote is still on the table'
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/house/house-magazine/99877/tom-watson-if-we-dont-get-election>
   - Lucy Powell: We must act now on online hate – before it's too late
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/technology/internet/house/house-magazine/99878/lucy-powell-we-must-act-now-online-hate-and>

More News

   - [image: Boris Johnson]
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/boris-johnson/news/100174/boris-johnson-wades-tv-debate>
Boris
   Johnson wades into TV debate row with call for Brexit supporter to take part
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/boris-johnson/news/100174/boris-johnson-wades-tv-debate>
   27th November 2018

   Boris Johnson has waded into the row over plans for a TV debate between
   Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn by demanding that someone who campaigned for
   Brexit should also take part.
   - [image: Patrick O'Flynn]
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/uk-independence-party/news/100167/top-ukip-mep-patrick-oflynn-quits-over>
Top
   Ukip politician Patrick O'Flynn quits over Tommy Robinson links
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/uk-independence-party/news/100167/top-ukip-mep-patrick-oflynn-quits-over>
   27th November 2018

   Top Ukip MEP Patrick O’Flynn has quit the party after its leader drafted
   in right-wing activist Tommy Robinson for an advisory role on prison reform
   and rape gangs.
   - [image: Michael Fallon]
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/100161/theresa-may-loyalist-michael-fallon-savages>
Theresa
   May loyalist Michael Fallon savages her 'doomed' Brexit deal
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/100161/theresa-may-loyalist-michael-fallon-savages>
   27th November 2018

   Theresa May has suffered a fresh blow as a previously loyal Conservative
   ex-Cabinet minister hit out at her “doomed” Brexit deal.
   - [image: Baroness Trumpington]
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/100159/tributes-pour-following-death-incredible>
Tributes
   pour in following death of 'incredible' Baroness Trumpington
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/100159/tributes-pour-following-death-incredible>
   27th November 2018

   Tributes have been paid after former Conservative minister and Bletchley
   Park codebreaker Baroness Trumpington died at the age of 96.
   - [image: smoking]
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/health-and-care/illnesstreatments/news/100158/labour-slam-short-sighted-cuts-sexual-health>
Labour
   slam 'short-sighted' cuts to sexual health and anti-smoking services
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/health-and-care/illnesstreatments/news/100158/labour-slam-short-sighted-cuts-sexual-health>
   27th November 2018

   Labour have slammed “short-sighted” cuts to funding for sexual health
   services and help for people to quit smoking.
   - [image: Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn]
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/100157/theresa-may-says-shes-ready-tv-debate>
Theresa
   May says she’s 'ready' for TV debate with Jeremy Corbyn days before crucial
   Commons vote
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/100157/theresa-may-says-shes-ready-tv-debate>
   27th November 2018

   Theresa May has confirmed that she's "ready" for a televised showdown
   with Jeremy Corbyn over her Brexit deal as she races to sell it to the
   country.
   - [image: Theresa May and Donald Trump]
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/100156/blow-theresa-may-donald-trump-says-her-brexit-deal-could>
Blow
   for Theresa May as Donald Trump says her Brexit deal could hinder UK trade
   with America
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/100156/blow-theresa-may-donald-trump-says-her-brexit-deal-could>
   27th November 2018

   Donald Trump has warned Theresa May that her Brexit deal could make it
   difficult for the UK to trade with America after it quits the EU.

Editor's Choice

   - [image: At a time when the UK is arguably at its most multicultural,
   and multilingual, we need to harness the language skills that exist on our
   doorstep, writes Stephen Kinnock] Stephen Kinnock: We need a Chief
   Government Linguist to promote modern languages
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/education/skills-and-training/house/house-magazine/100089/stephen-kinnock-we-need-chief>
   26th November 2018
   - [image: Theresa May] Theresa May faces Brexit showdown in Commons on
   11 December as anger grows over deal
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/theresa-may/news/100154/theresa-may-faces-brexit>
   26th November 2018
   - [image: MPs Lilian Greenwood, Jess Phillips, Nigel Huddleston, David
   Morris and Jonathan Reynolds joined Richard Graham in China in
November] Richard
   Graham: Dispatches from a cross-party trip to China
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/world/china/house/house-magazine/100095/richard-graham-dispatches-cross-party-trip-china>
   26th November 2018

Most read

   - Universal Credit could plunge 100,000 children into Christmas crisis,
   ministers warned
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/social-affairs/welfare/news/100123/universal-credit-could-plunge-100000-children-christmas>
   26th November 2018
   - EXCL Number 10 chief begs Labour MPs to back 'tenacious' Theresa May's
   Brexit deal
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/100155/excl-number-10-chief-begs-labour-mps-back>
   27th November 2018
   - Philip Hammond 'to lead Cabinet exodus' if Theresa May goes for
   no-deal Brexit
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/100113/philip-hammond-lead-cabinet-exodus-if-theresa-may-goes-no>
   25th November 2018
   - David Mundell facing calls to quit over Emmanuel Macron Brexit fishing
   threat
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/europe/eu-policy-agenda/brexit/news/100125/david-mundell-facing-calls-quit-over-emmanuel-macron>
   26th November 2018
   - Theresa May summons Labour MPs to Brexit briefing in bid to sell deal
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/politics/news/100131/theresa-may-summons-labour-mps-brexit-briefing-bid-sell-deal>
   26th November 2018

<https://www.politicshome.com/articles/magazine/house>

   - [image: MPs Lilian Greenwood, Jess Phillips, Nigel Huddleston, David
   Morris and Jonathan Reynolds joined Richard Graham in China in November]
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/world/china/house/house-magazine/100095/richard-graham-dispatches-cross-party-trip-china>
Richard
   Graham: Dispatches from a cross-party trip to China
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/world/china/house/house-magazine/100095/richard-graham-dispatches-cross-party-trip-china>
   26th November 2018

   Richard Graham reports on a recent all-party mission to China intent on
   forging a brighter future with one of the world’s great new powers
   - [image: The refugees deserve justice, dignity and the choice to return
   to safe conditions in Burma if they wish, write Anne Main and Rushanara Ali]
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/house/house-magazine/100097/anne-main-and-rushanara-ali-stop-unsafe-return>
Anne
   Main and Rushanara Ali: Stop the unsafe return of Rohingya refugees
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/house/house-magazine/100097/anne-main-and-rushanara-ali-stop-unsafe-return>
   26th November 2018

   Rushanara Ali and Anne Main call on the government as a matter of
   urgency to help halt Bangladesh’s plans to forcibly repatriate Rohingya
   refugees...
   - [image: At a time when the UK is arguably at its most multicultural,
   and multilingual, we need to harness the language skills that exist on our
   doorstep, writes Stephen Kinnock]
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/education/skills-and-training/house/house-magazine/100089/stephen-kinnock-we-need-chief>
Stephen
   Kinnock: We need a Chief Government Linguist to promote modern languages
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/education/skills-and-training/house/house-magazine/100089/stephen-kinnock-we-need-chief>
   26th November 2018

   If the UK is to talk – and be heard – around the world in the
   post-Brexit era we need a voice in government that is dedicated to modern
   languages...
   - [image: Sajid Javid]
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/home-affairs/policing/house/house-magazine/100068/sajid-javid-%E2%80%9Cministers-must-do-better-job>
Sajid
   Javid: “Ministers must do a better job of selling this deal”
   <https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/home-affairs/policing/house/house-magazine/100068/sajid-javid-%E2%80%9Cministers-must-do-better-job>
   23rd November 2018

   Sajid Javid finds himself in one of the great offices of state at a
   pivotal moment in Britain’s history. As he calls for the government to
   allay...

x Close
Quick Links

   - News <https://www.politicshome.com/news>