microphones

Jim Wilce Jim.Wilce at nau.edu
Wed Nov 29 19:38:27 UTC 2000

It was very good to see many of you in San Francisco.  I'm going back to
Bangladesh for several weeks over winter break, and will be videotaping  in
private homes.  I would like recommendations on an external microphone for
the Sony VX2000 digital video camera I'll be using.  I've been told that
one can't rely on the built-in mike even in this new model. The
interactions I'll be recording are multiparty dinner table talk.  Homes in
the capital city tend to have some street noise filtering in--traffic noise
that can be quite bad.  It seems there would be problems, therefore, with
an omnidirectional mike, but a shotgun might be too narrow to include
everyone around a table.  I'm thinking about hanging some sort of
microphone from above, in which case a shotgun might work, but I haven't
used one in the past and so can't be sure.

I look forward to reading the advice and experience-reports you might post
to the list.

Best,

Jim
Jim Wilce, Associate Professor
Anthropology Department
Box 15200
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-5200

Fax 520/523-9135
Office ph: 520/523-2729
email: jim.wilce at nau.edu
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jmw22 (includes information on my 1998 book,
Eloquence in Trouble: The Poetics and Politics of Complaint in Rural
Bangladesh, ISBN 0-19-510687-3.  Call OUP's NYC office at 800/334-4249.