[Linganth] experience with IRB approving use of WhatsApp for data collection?

Lynnette Arnold larnold at anthro.umass.edu
Tue Jul 30 16:01:30 UTC 2024

Dear colleagues -

Apologies for cross-posting.

If you (or anyone you know) has successfully had your IRB approve use of
WhatsApp for data collection with participants, I would love to hear about
it!

I am still fighting with my university IRB about digital journaling for my
new research project with emergency nurses about reproductive care in
contexts of heightened media and political rhetoric about reproductive
rights in the lead-up to November's election.

We have proposed using WhatsApp with participants for easy digital
journaling between interviews, but IRB is struggling to get the necessary
security information from WhatsApp to approve it.

So I thought giving them the names of some universities where the IRB did
approve WhatsApp might help to move things along.

Thanks in advance!

Lynnette