[Linganth] NEH Fellowship - Dynamic Language Infrastructure – Documenting Endangered Languages (DLI-DEL) (submission deadline: Sept.11, 2024)

Netta Avineri navineri at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 14:46:45 UTC 2024

Please see below!

Begin forwarded message:

*From:* "Kudsieh, Suha" <skudsieh at neh.gov>
*Date:* July 31, 2024 at 8:52:48 AM EDT
*To:* esc at uchicago.edu, "Avineri, Netta" <navineri at middlebury.edu>
*Subject:* *Request to Post & Circulate Announcement: Dynamic Language
Infrastructure – Documenting Endangered Languages (DLI-DEL) Fellowships at
NEH  (submission deadline: Sept.11, 2024)*

You don't often get email from skudsieh at neh.gov. Learn why this is important
<https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>

Dear Professors Carr and Avineri,

Good morning and I hope you are well. I am the team lead for the DLI-DEL
fellowship program at NEH, and I have a favor to ask you: I wonder if you
could post the attached announcement on SLA’s website and to circulate it
on your e-list, if you keep a members’ e-list.

In the past years DLI-DEL fellowships were offered for full-time research,
but since 2023 applicants who want to pursue their research part time can
apply. Applicants can also combine full time and part time research, and
they can take one break to focus on work and/or teaching , if they want,
after an initial period of 3 months.

I've attached the fellowships announcement and copied it below for your
convenience. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions and I will
be happy to help.

Thank you so much for your kind help.

Warm regards,

Suha

Suha Kudsieh, Ph.D.

Program Officer, Division of Research

*Pronouns: she/her*

Team lead for Documenting Endangered Languages Fellowships
<https://www.neh.gov/program/dli-del-fellowships> (DLI-DEL)

Member of The Scholarly Translations and Scholarly Editions
<https://www.neh.gov/grants/research/scholarly-editions-and-translations-grants>
 Team

National Endowment for the Humanities

(202) 606-8593

skudsieh at neh.gov

Book an Appointment to Discuss Your Project
<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/SuhaKudsieh@nehemail.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/s/9-QwSMKXE0CSarvgIOLIDQ2>

https://www.neh.gov/divisions/research

*Follow us on social media for the latest updates!*

*The Dynamic Language Infrastructure – Documenting Endangered Languages
(DLI-DEL) Fellowships at NEH*
<https://www.neh.gov/program/dli-del-fellowships>

NEH is accepting applications for The Dynamic Language Infrastructure –
Documenting Endangered Languages (DLI-DEL) Fellowships for the
2024-deadline, which is on September 11. The fellowships are offered as
part of a joint, multi-year funding program of NEH and the National Science
Foundation (NSF) to develop and advance scientific and scholarly knowledge
concerning endangered human languages
<https://www.linguisticsociety.org/content/what-endangered-language>.
DLI-DEL Fellowships support *individuals* (not institutional or
collaborative teams) who are junior or senior linguists, linguistic
anthropologists, and sociolinguists who conduct research on endangered or
moribund languages. DLI-DEL Fellowships prioritize scholarly analysis and
publication, including but not limited to lexicons, grammars, databases,
peer-reviewed articles, and monographs. Awards also support fieldwork and
other activities relevant to digital recording, documenting, and
sustainable archiving of endangered languages
<https://www.jstor.org/stable/416368>.

*Eligibility**: *

   - American citizens who live and work anywhere in the world and are
   linguists, linguistic anthropologists, or sociolinguists who
specialize in documenting
   endangered languages <https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000183699>
   .
   - US residents who live in the US and who specialize in the above fields
   are eligible to apply.
   - Applicants must *not* be enrolled in degree programs. DLI-DEL
   fellowships do not fund graduate students. However, if applicants have
   completed *all* their degree requirements and the only remaining step is
   degree conferral, they can apply *provided* they submit a letter from
   their dean or department chair that attests to those facts.  If the letter
   is missing from the application, the proposal will be considered
   unresponsive.
   - Adjuncts, independent scholars, tribal linguists, retired faculty
   members, non-tenured and tenure-track faculty members, and contractual
   teaching-staff are welcome to apply.

*Deadlines**: *

   - *Deadline to submit applications is* *September 11, 2024*; submitted
   through grants.gov
   <https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=348718>.
   - Applicants are notified of the results of their applications after
   April 30, 2025.

*Period of Performance*:

The shortest period of performance is 6 months, and the maximum period of
funding is 12 months, part-time equivalent, or a combination of both. The
amount of funding is $5,000 per month, or the pro-rated equivalent for half
time:

   - The program supports individuals who work between half time and full
   time on their projects. You may combine part- and full-time work, but you
   must work at least half time (50%), and you can split your term into two
   separate active periods. The active periods must be at least three months
   each.
   - If you work full time on your project, you must forgo teaching and
   other major activities. If you combine a part-time award with teaching or
   another job, you must carry a reduced teaching or work load during the
   period of performance. Awards will be reduced to reflect the smaller time
   commitment when you work part time or for fewer than the equivalent of 12
   full-time months on the NEH project.

Please check the posted Notice of Funding Opportunity Page
<https://www.neh.gov/sites/default/files/inline-files/DLI-FEL%202023%20and%202024%20NOFO%20%281%29.pdf>,
where you can find the pre-recorded webinars, the Frequently Asked
Questions  (FAQ) document
<https://www.neh.gov/sites/default/files/inline-files/DLI-DEL-FAQs%202023%20and%202024.pdf>,
the list of recently funded projects
<https://securegrants.neh.gov/publicquery/main.aspx?q=1&a=0&n=0&o=0&ot=0&k=0&f=0&s=0&cd=0&p=1&pv=238&d=0&at=0&y=1&yf=2018&yt=2023&prd=0&cov=0&prz=0&wp=0&ob=year&or=DESC>,
and posted sample narratives on the DLI-DEL Fellowship landing page
<https://www.neh.gov/program/dli-del-fellowships> (see under* Samples
Application Narratives, on the left hand-side of the page) for more
information. *

If you have any questions, please e-mail them to *delfel at neh.gov*
<delfel at neh.gov> and staff will be happy to help you.