(Dis)appearance verbs

tsunoda at TOOYOO.L.U-TOKYO.AC.JP tsunoda at TOOYOO.L.U-TOKYO.AC.JP
Thu Apr 2 01:35:21 UTC 1998

   I made a serious error when I quoted Motoyasu Nojima's observation.
The correction is as follows.

(a) with intransitive verbs:
    this aspectual form occurs with vrbs of 'disappearing'/
    'leaving' rather than with verbs of 'appearing'/'coming'.

(b) with transitive verbs:
    this aspectual form occurs with verbs of 'discarding'
    rather than with verbs of 'obtaining'.
                               ~~~~~~~~~

   I realize that my first quotation made no sense. The corrected
quotation shows that intransitive and transitive verbs are parallel
in this respect.

Tasaku Tsunoda