From B. Comrie: Typology funding

P J KAHREL p.kahrel at LANCASTER.AC.UK
Fri Mar 27 06:02:49 UTC 1998

To:     ALT members
From:   Bernard Comrie
Date:   24 March 1998
Subj:   Typology funding

At ALT-2 it was agreed that I would investigate making available
information on funding for typological research. I have thought through
various possibilities, and the most realistic seems to me to provide
crucial but minimal information in what is basically a text file on the ALT
homepage, but with links to sources of further information.

The kind of information that would be provided would be at least the following:

1. Name of funding agency.
2. Scope, e.g. which areas of linguistics, which languages are funded.
3. Eligibility, i.e. who is allowed to apply.
4. Sources of further information, e.g. home page, e-mail contact.

It seems to me that maybe this is all that is needed. Further information
should be available from the Sources specified under item 4, and the more
information that is requested in order to post an agency the less likely
that agency is to get posted or have its information kept up to date. (For
instance, it is not reasonable to expect ALT to be able to keep track of
application deadlines.) But please let me know if there are any other items
that you think are absolutely essential, or really really helpful.

As an example, the Endangered Languages Fund might be posted as follows:

1. Endangered Languages Fund
2. Scope: The Endangered Language Fund provides grants for language maintenance
and linguistic field work. The language involved must be in danger of
disappearing within a generation or two.
3. Eligibility: No restrictions.
4. Further information:
   internet http://sapir.ling.yale.edu/~elf/index.html
   e-mail elf at haskins.yale.edu

Your thoughts on the above will be much appreciated. Please reply directly
to me <comrie at bcf.usc.edu>.

--
Bernard Comrie
Dept of Linguistics GFS-301                 tel  +1 213 740 3674
Los Angeles, CA 90089-1693, USA       e-mail  comrie at bcf.usc.edu

Address from mid-May 1998 (new telephone, fax, e-mail not yet available):
Inselstrasse 22-26
D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Los Angeles, CA 90089-1693, USA       e-mail  comrie at bcf.usc.edu