non-classifier langueges without plural inflextion

Matthew S Dryer dryer at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Wed Nov 4 21:35:32 UTC 1998

Many languages, perhaps even a majority, allow bare nouns to be
interpreted as singular or plural in that plural marking is not required.
Among languages that do not inflect nouns for number at all, some employ
plural words, and many, probably the majority of these, do not require
classifiers.  Among those that lack either plural inflection or plural
words, I suspect many do not require classifiers.  Kutenai is an example
of this.

Matthew Dryer