"our speech"

Björn Wiemer Bjoern.Wiemer at UNI-KONSTANZ.DE
Sat Dec 14 16:53:41 UTC 2002

Dear ALT-community,
I would like to ask about s.th. what seems to be more unusual for a
typologist to deal with, namely: about a certain kind of ethnolects. Are
you familiar with languages / language varieties (on a dia- or sociolectal
level) which are named /referred to by their speakers as something like
"our speech / language"? And, if so, does this labelling of one's own
variety (vernacular) correlate with some special sociolinguistic value?
E.g., it may (and will probably) be so that such a variety has low prestige
as a means of any superregional standard (koiné), but is held in some
esteem by those who use it every day (and whose native tongue it may be
considered) for the purpose of communication with people who are considered
as belonging to one's own locally very restricted community.
         This question is directed especially to those who have experience
in field-work. I would appreciate any comments and information on this
topic, on the basis of either first-hand experience or hints as to where to
look in the literature. I promise then to compose a digest of information
obtained.

With best regards,
         Bjoern Wiemer.

PD Dr. Bjoern Wiemer