vowel harmony

Maria Polinsky polinsky at LING.UCSD.EDU
Mon Apr 7 17:05:17 UTC 2003

I am posting this message on behalf of Anya Luke-Killam, a graduate
student in my department. Please respond to her and to myself; Anya's
email is  aluke at ling.ucsd.edu

Here's her query:

Subject: Vowel Harmony question

Hello all,

I am currently doing research for a project on vowel harmony and I am
looking for examples of languages that have regressive vowel harmony.

I have examples of metaphony from Spanish, Italian and Saami. In each of
these languages, there are examples in which a final vowel acts as the
trigger in the harmony process. I am also looking into Bengali vowel
harmony, for similar examples. I would appreciate any information about
other languages you may know of with regressive vowel harmony.

Thank you in advance,

Anya Luke-Killam [aluke at ling.ucsd.edu]
graduate student
UC San Diego