vowel harmony

Richard Valovics ricsi at MAIL1.STOFANET.DK
Mon Apr 7 15:42:54 UTC 2003

I suppose you can consider the change in Germanic languages of
the stem vowel during derivation and inflection as an instance of
regressive vowel harmony, in which case the back vowel of the
stem changes into a (the corresponding) front vowel when the
attached suffix contains a front vowel. E.g. in German:

Ort + lich > örtlich (place, location > local),

Kanal + e > Kanäle (plural of "channel"),

Minut + chen > Minütchen (diminutive of "minute"),

Danish:

anstand + ig > anstændig (dignity > decent).

In Danish, the effect of vowel harmony is blurred by the fact that
both the letter a and letter æ are ususlly pronounced as front
vowels in the modern language.
Best regards