vowel harmony

Bertinetto bert.NET at CAEN.IT
Tue Apr 8 11:27:38 UTC 2003

>I am posting this message on behalf of Anya Luke-Killam, a graduate
>student in my department. Please respond to her and to myself; Anya's
>email is  aluke at ling.ucsd.edu
>
>Here's her query:
>
>Subject: Vowel Harmony question
>
>Hello all,
>
>I am currently doing research for a project on vowel harmony and I am
>looking for examples of languages that have regressive vowel harmony.
>
>I have examples of metaphony from Spanish, Italian and Saami. In each of
>these languages, there are examples in which a final vowel acts as the
>trigger in the harmony process. I am also looking into Bengali vowel
>harmony, for similar examples. I would appreciate any information about
>other languages you may know of with regressive vowel harmony.
>
>Thank you in advance,
>
>Anya Luke-Killam [aluke at ling.ucsd.edu]
>graduate student
>UC San Diego

There is a whole issue devoted to "Metaphony and vowel harmony in Romance
and beyond" (including in fact papers on Germanic) edited by Ignacio Hualde
for "Rivista di Linguistica" vol.10, n.1 (1998).
All papers are in English. You may easily find a lot of references therein.

The journal, which in the meantime changed its name into "Italian Journal
of Linguistics", is available through:

Pacini Editore <Pacini.Editore at pacinieditore.it>,
<mcolombini at pacinieditore.it>.

On the same topic (in fact, criticizing a paper contained in the mentioned
issue), there is a paper by Michele Loporcaro in "It. J. of Ling." 13, 2
(2001).
Best regards

Pier Marco Bertinetto
<bertinetto at sns.it>