R: Re: pragmatics versus grammar?

Paolo Ramat paoram at UNIPV.IT
Sun Apr 13 19:56:59 UTC 2003

I fully subscribe Doris' questions. What does it mean that 'grammatical and pragmatic mechanisms are in some sense in complementary distribution'? Is this a hint to iconism?
Best,
Paolo Ramat

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Doris Payne
  To: LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
  Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 11:09 PM
  Subject: Re: pragmatics versus grammar?

  Dear Jess - I don't understand the question well enough to be able to think about it well.  What is an example of a "grammatical mechanism" vs. a "pragmatic mechanism"?  I think of "forms" or "structures" when one says "mechanisms" -- but if one has forms in mind, what is that other than morphosyntax?

  Altogether, maybe we need more explanation of what you mean by these terms, first.

  - Doris Payne