Nina Dobrushina or Michael Daniel daniel at QUB.COM
Fri Apr 18 05:53:08 UTC 2003

Re: Suzanne Kemmer and Enrique Palancar Vizcaya:
I remember having read about languages where 'wife' is usually designated
descriptively - as 'my children's mother'. I do not know whether it is used as
a form of address (which then would contradict Pier Marco Bertinetto's
tentative generalization) or only as third person reference (which would be a
bit less to the topic of the discussion).

Note that Edith's example ("I went to Spain for a vacation" instead of "My
family and I went to Spain for a vacation" - both possible in Russian, to my
mind) extends the discussion of obligatory mention of co-possessors to the
obligatory co-participants of a situation in general.

Michael