Elena Skribnik Elena.Skribnik at FINN.FAK12.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Tue Apr 22 12:59:10 UTC 2003

> Re: Summary: number in personal pronouns

I would like to add two more items to the list:

a) the use of "we" instead of "I" in scientific Russian and German; for the
generation of my teachers "we" is the norm, both spoken and written, in my
generation "I" appears sporadically - evidently under the English influence.
Compare: I argue that = Nam (Pl.) predstavljaetsja, chto; v nashej rabote
'in our (=my) work'; etc. The same happens in German;

b) plural pronouns with singular reference as polite forms are widely
spread; but there are also cases when they are used in response, like in
some German dialects: "Wie geht es Euch (Sg.)? Uns (=mir) geht es gut". The
same happens in Turkish.

By the way, in Russian families with children the husband can call his wife
not only by her name, but simply mat' - 'mother', and she can call him
otec - "father".

Elena Skribnik

Prof. Dr. Elena Skribnik
Institut für Finnougristik/Uralistik
der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Ludwigstr. 31
D-80539 München
Tel. (089) 2180 1379
Fax (089) 2180 3005