re- [Danish]

Hans G=?ISO-8859-1?B?9g==?=tzsche goetzsche at HUM.AUC.DK
Mon Aug 25 14:03:22 UTC 2003

Richard is ­ by and large ­ right in his account of the Danish prefix gen-
Œre¹, both concerning meaning, use and word formation, and concerning the
fact that there are productive restrictions. But his example of a
restriction: genganger (noun) and *gengå Œrego¹, Œgo again¹ (verb) may not
be the happiest one. To put it briefly, gen- is a reduced form (ie version;
not historically) of Danish igen Œagain¹ the English cognate of which is,
obviously, again (of Germanic origin; the history is rather complicated, cf
against). The reason why the verb *gengå Œrego¹ is not licensed in Danish
may be the fact that the meaning of genganger as Œa person who attends a
course repeatedly¹ is a derived, metaphorical meaning of recent origin. The
original, historical meaning of the word is to refer to a person who has the
unpleasant habit of gå igen Œgo again¹, ie Œcoming back after having died¹
and maybe frightening people as a ghost. The word genganger Œghost¹ has been
formed from gå igen by use of the general Danish rules for forming nouns by
applying the rules to a verb + an adverb (functioning as a verb particle).
The historical path of the word may have been forgotten by contemporary
young people in Denmark but its original meaning as a subconscious relic may
confuse the straightforward analysis of the noun vs the verb.

Best wishes,

Hans Götzsche