Jesuits and linguistics

Daniel Everett dan.everett at MAN.AC.UK
Wed Aug 27 21:03:00 UTC 2003

Yes, well thanks for the names. Perhaps, though, it would be helpful
not to assume that others knew immediately the relationship between
even well-known linguists and Jesuit linguists, e.g. whether or not
this or that linguist is or was trained by or knew Jesuits. A bit more
specificity perhaps.

Tangentially related to the matter of Jesuits and linguistics, I am
sure that some on this list will have read The Sparrow, by Mary Doria
Russell, about an expedition to contact a population of sentient beings
on another planet. The leader of the expedition is a Jesuit linguist,
because the whole world knows (in the novel) that the person to take
the lead in any such contact between civilizations is a linguist.
Russell told me that her book helped Jesuit recruitment (she is an
ex-Catholic, converted to Judaism).

This is not why I asked my initial question, but it is an interesting
observation. And the linguistic fieldwork on another planet described
in the book is based on monolingual field research and is quite
believable.

I think by now I have received plenty of responses to my query. I will
try to put together a summary of the excellent and useful responses I
have received and post them to this list.

Thanks very much to all of you who responded.

-- Dan

On Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003, at 19:17 Europe/London, Hartmut Haberland
wrote:

> Hans Götzsche wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't it be convenient to ask Jacob Mey?
>>
>> Hans Götzsche
>>
> Or Zeno Vendler?
>
> Hartmut Haberland

Daniel L. Everett