Passives from Experiencer verbs

Daniel Everett dan.everett at MAN.AC.UK
Mon Dec 15 06:34:06 UTC 2003

On Monday, Dec 15, 2003, at 03:42 Europe/London, Paul Hopper wrote:

> It is worth bearing in mind that the French construction se voir + INF
> noted by Frederico Meinberg that started this thread has an
> infinitive, not a ppp. So we have neither a copula nor a passive
> participle. Which raises the question of why we are calling it a
> passive, other than the fact that the closest English translation
> equivalent is with a passive.
>
> Regarding Dan's observation that we would expect the subject to have
> actually experienced the event in question, there was that French
> example from Glanville Price's book that I cited in which the subject
> is explicitly said to have died, and so could not have witnessed the
> event: "André Blanc, qui fut, jusqu'à sa mort en 1966, l'un des
> animateurs de l'architecture en France, se voit rendre un hommage
> tardif au Musée des Arts Décoratifs" (Price p. 236). So it seems that
> in French at least the construction does not require its subject to be
> an experiencer.
>
> Paul

Paul asks, quite rightly, why we would call this construction a
Passive, since it lacks the basic list of properties that, say, the
English Passive would have, and suggests that perhaps this is merely
because its closest English translation is a Passive. This is an
important observation which many readers of this list will also have
made as they followed the discussion.

I suspect that there is more to the label than the translation.
Linguists often use a label ambiguously, to refer to its form or its
function, as we all know. On the one hand, Passive can be a specific
list of properties, or a formal definition, and a construction either
has them, and is thus a Passive, or it does not, and it not a Passive.
On the other hand, one could mean by Passive, 'the transitivity
strategy that language x uses to  realize the Undergoer as the
syntactic pivot'. So there is the 'impersonal se passive' common in
Romance which has by and large supplanted the 'morphological passive'
of 'to be + past participle'. For functionalists, this won't be news of
course. For formalists, at least of the Minimalist variety, this will
also not be news, because constructions are epiphenomenal and only
label particular configurations of properties independently required of
a particular combination of lexical items (modulo Hagit Borer's new
book trilogy on exosyntax).

In grammar-writing this ambiguity can be a serious problem and,
apparently, it also seeps into discussions by typologists. So we should
always be clear as to whether our label of a construction refers to its
form or its function.

-- Dan

Daniel L. Everett
Professor of Phonetics & Phonology