case in personal pronouns

Michael Noonan noonan at CSD.UWM.EDU
Wed Mar 26 17:03:44 UTC 2003

As I recall, the original English lyrics were first person:

Each day when she walks to the sea,
She looks straight ahead not at me.

When Astrud Gilberto recorded the song, the orientation was changed to
third person.  But 'him' would require a different rhyme, so 'he' was
substituted.

Mickey

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Dan Everett wrote:

> Well, as someone who has been a fan of Tom Jobim (author of the song)
> since the 60s, I should point out that first the English lyrics have
> little to do with the Portuguese lyrics. Second, Portuguese colloquial
> dialects don't distinguish accusative vs. nominative third person
> (because they have lost their clitics). This means that if a Brazilian,
> e.g. Jobim, tries to write English lyrics the nominative/accusative he
> vs. him contrast might be lost if they think in Portuguese. Moreover,
> songs, especially popular songs, very often violate the speaker's own
> grammar to get a 'cheap rhyme'. As Paul Simon spoke in Kathy's Song, 'of
> poets who  spend their  time 'writing words that tear and strain to
> rhyme'.
>
> -- Dan

> Dan Everett
> Professor of Phonetics and Phonology
> Department of Linguistics
> Arts Building
> University of Manchester
> Oxford Road
> M13 9PL
> Manchester, UK
> dan.everett at man.ac.uk
> Phone: 44-161-275-3158
> Dept. Fax and Phone: 44-161-275-3187
> http://lings.ln.man.ac.uk/info/staff/de

Michael Noonan			Professor of Linguistics
Dept. of English		Office:   414-229-4539
University of Wisconsin		Fax:	  414-229-2643
Milwaukee, WI  53201		Messages: 414-229-4511
USA				Webpage:  http://www.uwm.edu/~noonan