case in personal pronouns

Dan Everett dan.everett at MAN.AC.UK
Wed Mar 26 07:18:47 UTC 2003

Well, as someone who has been a fan of Tom Jobim (author of the song)
since the 60s, I should point out that first the English lyrics have
little to do with the Portuguese lyrics. Second, Portuguese colloquial
dialects don't distinguish accusative vs. nominative third person
(because they have lost their clitics). This means that if a Brazilian,
e.g. Jobim, tries to write English lyrics the nominative/accusative he
vs. him contrast might be lost if they think in Portuguese. Moreover,
songs, especially popular songs, very often violate the speaker's own
grammar to get a 'cheap rhyme'. As Paul Simon spoke in Kathy's Song, 'of
poets who  spend their  time 'writing words that tear and strain to
rhyme'.

-- Dan

Dan Everett
Professor of Phonetics and Phonology