so-called "pro-drop" languages

G.Lazard gilzard at WANADOO.FR
Tue Feb 10 10:50:45 UTC 2004

 La distinction entre langues "pro-drop" et "non pro-drop" n'a pas grand
interet: les enonces 'they come' et 'veni-unt' comportent l'un et l'autre
deux elements. Une distinction beaucoup plus importante existe entre ces
enonces à deux termes et les enonces effectivement  "sans sujet" des langues
d'Asie orientale, ex. japonais atsui "j'ai chaud / il fait chaud / c'est
chaud", etc.

Gilbert Lazard
49 av. de l'Observatoire
F-75014 Paris

De : claude-hagege <claude-hagege at WANADOO.FR>
Répondre à : claude-hagege <claude-hagege at WANADOO.FR>
Date : Sun, 8 Feb 2004 22:34:02 +0100
À : LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Objet : so-called "pro-drop" languages

Dear all,
I appreciate Gideon's message, which says explicitly what I did not want to
develop further. I quite agree that, as he writes, the " 'pro-drop' issue in
formal linguistics has brought about a certain amount of confusion". The
distinction I propose between personal pronoun and person index is precisely
meant to recall that many so-called pro-drop languages do not by any means
"drop" the person marker, if we mean thereby the affixed person index and
not the personal pronoun.

All best, Claude.