Bill Croft croft at CASBS.STANFORD.EDU
Wed Mar 24 21:34:50 UTC 2004

Dear list members,

Thanks very much for the overwhelming and immediate response.

The construction I was interested in, "Mary
leave-1PL" ('Mary and I left'), is an instance of
what Lichtenberk 2000 calls an implicit split
inclusory construction. An inclusory construction
is one in which the reference of one syntactic
element is properly included in the reference of
another syntactic element, the inclusory
pronominal (in my example, the referent of "Mary"
is included in the 1st plural referent set). If
the two elements do not form a unit, Lichtenberk
calls it split; if there is no overt linking
morpheme, Lichtenberk calls it implicit. Some
correspondents offered examples of other types of
inclusory constructions, such as what Lichtenberk
calls a (implicit) phrasal inclusory construction
(the pronominal and included element form a