adjectives and word classes

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Tue Apr 4 11:00:18 UTC 2006

The same is true in German, though to a lesser extent: The colour
adjectives /rosa/ 'pink' and /lila/ 'purple/violet' do not inflect, at
least in the standard language (colloquially, they tend to exhibit
ordinary adjectival inflection, following an additional consonant /-n-/:
/rosanes/ etc.).

These cases illustrate a larger point: It is very difficult or even
impossible to make a principled distinction between "parts of speech"
(the subject of David Gil's query) and "inflection classes". Most
descriptions of German would not say that /rosa/ and /lila/ belong to a
different part of speech than /schwarz/ 'black' and /rot/ 'red';
instead, they would say that they belong to a special inflection class
of adjectives. But according to Dixon 2004 (the paper in the volume
"Adjective classes"), any morphosyntactic distinction can be regarded as
sufficient to set up a separate part of speech. I'm sure there are
languages that are described as having a verb/adjective distinction, but
where the only difference is that verbs inflect but adjectives don't.

So it isn't clear to me that David's query is different from the
question whether there are further languages where different colour
words have different morphosyntactic properties.

Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6