adjectives and word classes

Kazuto Matsumura kmatsum at TOOYOO.L.U-TOKYO.AC.JP
Tue Apr 4 13:17:14 UTC 2006

There seem to be four morphosyntactic classes in Japanese color terms:

     bare form    attributive        adverbial
I)   siro         siro-i             siro-ku       'white'
II)  midori       midori-no          midori-ni     'green'
     hai+iro      hai+iro-no         hai+iro-ni    'gray'
III) ki+iro       ki+iro-i           ki+iro-ku     'yellow'
                  ki+iro-no          ki+iro-ni
IV)  mas+siro     mas+siro-na        mas+siro-ni   'snow-white'

I) At least three more words belong to this class: kuro-i 'black', aka-i 'red',
   ao-i 'blue'. They are all morphemically simple in their bare form.

II) Most morphemically complex color terms ending in +iro 'color' belong to
   this class.

III) This is a hybrid class. Besides ki+iro, at least one word belongs to
   this class: cha-iro 'brown' (literally: tea-color) [Though Japanese tea
   is typically greenish yellow, you know Chinese oolong tea is brown :-)]

IV) Prefixed color terms derived form class I words belong to this class:
   mak+kuro 'coal-black', mak+ka 'deep red', mas+sao 'deep blue'

Though some speakers may reject the forms "ki+iro-i", etc. as "unacceptable",
i-adjectival forms are amply attested  for both "ki+iro" and "cha+iro" in
my 24 mil. word corpus of literary texts. Someone may want to check whether
this is also true in other genres too.

Kazuto Matsumura
University of Tokyo

(2006/04/04 20:00)