adjectives and word classes

Hannu Tommola hannu.tommola at UTA.FI
Wed Apr 5 10:54:33 UTC 2006

Martin writes: "Most descriptions of German would not say that /rosa/ and
/lila/ belong to a different part of speech than /schwarz/ 'black' and
/rot/ 'red'; instead, they would say that they belong to a special
inflection class of adjectives."

Most descriptions of Finnish distinct between nouns and adjectives,
although they belong to identical morhological patterns; the part-of-speech
distinction cannot be made on morphological grounds. Genuine colour terms
in Finnish are of two types, with or without a "typically adjective" suffix
-ne/-se (in some cases both occur):

- musta 'black'; vihreä 'green'; ruskea 'brown'; harmaa 'grey'
- valkea OR valko-i-nen 'white'
- puna-i-nen 'red'; sini-nen 'blue'; kelta-i-nen 'yellow';

Later loan-words are of the first type (cf. Italian and German _lila_
etc.), though they are regularly inflected:
oranssi 'orange'; beige, beessi 'beige'; turkoosi 'turquoise'; pinkki,
roosa 'pink'; li(i)la 'violet'

In Russian, colour terms are inflected as adjectives; the newer borrowings
also tend to move over to this pattern (at least, in colloquial speech),
even if codified as non-inflected:

bordo > bordo-vyj 'bordeaux'; bezh > bezhevyj 'beige'
lil-o-vyj 'violet'; roz-o-vyj 'pink', turkoz-nyj 'turqoise', lazor-e-vyj,
lazur-nyj 'azure, sky-blue'; oranzhe-vyj 'orange'

Best,
Hannu