Paolo Ramat paoram at UNIPV.IT
Tue Jul 11 15:20:35 UTC 2006

A further comment is inserted in your letter, in CAPITALS
prof.Paolo Ramat
Università di Pavia
Dipartimento di Linguistica Teorica e Applicata
tel. ##39 0382 984 484
fax ##39 0382 984 487

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bernhard Waelchli
  To: LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
  Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 3:18 PM
  Subject: Summary: Typological studies based on original texts

  Dear colleagues

  Sorry for mistakenly having sent to all my answer to Martin in the local vernacular. Please, throw it away! Here is, however, a list of references as a result of a query I posted some weeks ago about typological studies based on original texts.

  I have received answers by Peter Austin, Balthasar Bickel, Greville Corbett, Matthew Dryer, Nick Evans, Martin Haspelmath, Kees Hengefeld, Paul Hopper, Pieter Muysken, Michael Noonan, Paolo Ramat, Maria Koptjevskaja-Tamm, Stephen Matthews, and Wolfgang Schulze, and I am happy that what started as a simple information question also resulted in some more general discussion.

  Some of you argued that I should include a broader range of studies than what I asked for (lower number of languages, other kinds of studies). Since I find all the studies that have been pointed out to me highly relevant and useful, I simply included everything I got (as far as I could identify the references) and added some more. I certainly missed a lot and am still grateful for additional references.

  I am especially grateful to Paolo Ramat for having pointed out the relevance of parallel texts and questionnaires as other additional sources expanding the typologist's toolkit beyond reference grammars. In addition, psycholinguistic approaches have to be mentioned, using non-verbal stimuli for data collection, including the well-known Pear stories and Frog stories. In my view these are all instances of a single hyper-approach to data collection in typology, which I call "descriptive typology", viz. all typological data collection processes based on primary sources rather than descriptions and on exemplars rather than abstractions.

  IT HAS TO BE REMEMBERED THAT  PEAR STORIES, FROG STORIES AS WELL AS THE ORAL NARRATION OF CHARLIE CHAPLIN UNWILLING LEADING A WORKERS' STRIKE WITH A RED FLAG ('MODERN TIMES') HAVE BEEN USED IN REGISTERING SECOND LANGUAGE SPONTANEOUS ACQUISITION AND THE THEREBY USED STRATEGIES BY IMMIGRANTS: SEE E.G. 'VERSO L'ITALIANO' ED. BY ANNA GIACALONE RAMAT, CAROCCI , ROMA 2003.

  THIS IS ANOTHER KIND OF PARALLEL TEXTS: HOW TO SOLVE THE SAME  NARRATIVE (I.E. SEMANTIC) PROBLEMS STARTING FROM LANGUAGES ENDOWED WITH DIFFERENT STRATEGIES.

  Because the list of references got quite long, here is what corresponds most prototypically to the original query:
  - John Myhill's (1992) typological discourse analysis (including all the previous work mentioned there, especially by Talmy Givón) (thanks to Stephen Matthews and Kees Hengefeld for having pointed out this to me.)
  - Matthew Dryer's about 1,000 datapoints based on texts in WALS (in a total of more than 20,000 data points: it is really amazing, Matthew, how you manage to do this!),
  - Michael Noonan's (2003) unpublished work about referential density (including much own fieldwork) [see also Bickel's 2003 study on referential density, Balthasar is still working on it with a larger sample of languages.]
  - Tom Güldemann's (2001) unpublished study.

  The references that follow are in no way exhaustive for exemplar-based typological approaches. The list is strongly biased toward what has been pointed out to me and toward what I have added to the list. Please, tell me if you have some more. The list is certainly highly deficient, especially in the domains of phonology and phonetics. Maybe it is nevertheless of some use.

  Kind regards
  Bernhard Wälchli

  LIST OF REFERENCES

  Berlin, Brent & Kay, Paul. (1969). Basic color terms. Their universality and evolution. Berkeley: University of California Press.
  Berman, Ruth A. & Slobin, Dan Isaac et al. (1994). Relating events in narrative. A crosslinguistic developmental study. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
  Bernini, Giuliano & Ramat, Paolo. (1996). Negative sentences in the languages of Europe. A typological approach. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
  Biber, Douglas. (1995). Dimensions of register variation. A cross-linguistic comparison. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  Bickel, Balthasar. (2003). Referential density in discourse and syntactic typology. Language 79: 708-36.
  Bowerman, Melissa (1996). Learning how to structure space for language: A crosslinguistic perspective. In: Bloom, Paul; Peterson, Mary A.; Nadel, Lynn, Garrett, Merrill F. (eds.): Language and space. Cambridge, Massachusetts, London: MIT Press, 385-436.
  Bowerman, Melissa & Choi, Soonja (2001). Shaping meanings for language: universal and language-specific in the acquisition of spatial semantic categories. In: Bowerman, Melissa & Levinson, Stephen C. (eds.) Language acquisition and conceptual development. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 475-511.
  Bybee, Joan & Hopper, Paul (eds) Frequency and the Emergence of Linguistic Structure. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
  Chafe, Wallace L. (ed.) (1980). The pear stories. Cognitive, cultural and linguistic aspects of narrative production. Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
  Corbett, Greville G. & Hippisley, Andrew & Brown, Dunstan & Marriott, Paul. (2001). Frequency, regularity and the paradigm: a perspective from Russian on a complex relation. In Bybee, Joan & Hopper, Paul (eds) Frequency and the Emergence of Linguistic Structure. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. pp. 201-226.
  Cowgill, Warren. (1963). A search for universals in Indo-European diachronic morphology. In Greenberg, Joseph H. Universals of Language. Report of a conference held at Dobbs Ferry, New York, April 13 - 15, 1961. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.
  Cysouw, Michael & Wälchli, Bernhard (eds.). (2007 forthc.) Parallel Texts. Using translational equivalents in linguistic typology. Theme issue in Sprachtypologie & Universalienforschung STUF. http://email.eva.mpg.de/~cysouw/pdf/STUF.pdf
  Dahl, Östen. (1985). Tense and aspect systems. Oxford: Blackwell.
  Dahl, Östen. (2000). Tense and aspect in the languages of Europe. Empirical approaches to language typology. EUROTYP 6. 20,6. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
  Da Milano, Federica. (2005). La deissi spaziale nelle lingue d'Europa, Milano 2005. FrancoAngeli.
  Dryer, Matthew cf. the many chapters by Matthew in Haspelmath et al. (2005).
  Enfield, Nick J. & Majid, Asifa & van Staden, Miriam. (2006). Cross-linguistic categorisation of the body: introduction. Language Sciences 28.2/3, 137-147.
  Greenberg, Joseph H. (1960). A quantitative approach to the morphological typology of languages. International Journal of American Linguistics 26: 178-194.
  Greenberg, Joseph H. & O'Sullivan, Chris. (1974). Frequency, marking and discourse styles with special reference to substantival categories in the Romance languages. Working Papers on Language Universals 16: 47-72.
  Güldemann, Tom. (2001). Quotative constructions in African languages: a synchronic and diachronic survey. Habilitationsschrift Leipzig.
  Hanks, William. (2000). Intertexts. Writings on language, utterance, and context. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.
  Haspelmath, Martin. (1997). From space to time. Temporal adverbials in the world's languages. München: Lincom.
  Haspelmath, Martin & Dryer, Matthew & Gil, David & Comrie, Bernard (eds.) (2005). The World Atlas of Language Structures. (Book with interactive CD-ROM) Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN: 0-19-925591-1
  Himmelmann, Nikolaus P. (1997). Deiktikon, Artikel, Nominalphrase. Zur Emergenz syntaktischer Struktur. Tübingen: Niemeyer.
  Himmelmann, Nikolaus P. (1998). Documentary and Descriptive Linguistics. Linguistics 36, 161-195.
  Juvonen, Päivi. (2000). Grammaticalizing the definite article: a study of definite adnominal determiners in a genre of spoken Finnish. Stockholm: University of Stockholm.
  Laury, Ritva. (1997). Demonstratives in interaction. The emergence of a definite article in Finnish. Benjamins: Amsterdam.
  Levinson, Stephen C. (2003). Space in language and cognition. Explorations in cognitive diversity. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  Lüpke, Friederike. (2006). Small is beautiful: contributions of field-based corpora to different linguistic disciplines, illustrated by Jalonke. Austin, P. (ed.). Language Documentation and Description, Vol 3. SOAS, University of London.
  MacLaury, Robert E. (1997). Color and cognition in Mesoamerica. Constructing categories as vantages. Austin, TX: University of Texas.
  Majid, Asifa & Staden, Miriam van & Boster, James S. & Bowerman, Melissa. (2004). Event categorization: a cross-linguistic perspective. Proceedings of the Twenty-sixth Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society.
  Masica, Colin. (1976). Defining a linguistic area. South Asia. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
  Myhill, John. (1992). Typological discourse analysis: quantitative approaches to the study of linguistic function. Oxford: Blackwell.
  Noonan, Michael. (2003). A cross-linguistic investigation of referential density. Paper given at ALT V in Cagliari. http://www.uwm.edu/People/noonan/Handout.combined.pdf
  Pederson, Eric & Danziger, Eve & Wilkins, David & Levinson, Stephen & Kita, Sotaro & Senft, Gunter. (1998). Semantic typology and spatial conceptualization. Language 74.3: 557-589.
  Pustet, Regina. (2004). On discourse frequency, grammar, and grammaticalization. In Frajzyngier, Zygmunt & Hodges, Adam & Rood, David S. (eds.). Linguistic diversity and language theories. Amsterdam: Benjamins.
  Ricca, Davide. (1993). I verbi deittici di movimiento in Europa: una ricerca interlinguistica. Firenze: La Nuova Italia.
  Sasse, Hans-Jürgen & Behrens, Leila. (2002). The Microstructure of Lexicon-Grammar-Interaction. A Study of "Gold" in English and Arabic. LINCOM Studies in Theoretical Linguistics 32. München: Lincom.
  Slobin, Dan I. (2004). The many ways to search for a frog: Linguistic typology and the expression of motion events. In Strömqvist & Verhoeven, eds.
  Stolz, Thomas. (2004). Mediterraneanism vs. universal process: word iteration in an areal perspective. A pilot-study. Mediterranean Language Review.
  Stolz, Thomas. (forthc.). Harry Potter meets Le Petit Prince: On the usefulness of parallel literary corpora in crosslinguistic investigations. In Cysouw & Wälchli (forthc.).
  Stolz, Thomas & Gugeler, Traude. (2000). Comitative typology - Nothing about the ape, but something about king-size samples, the European community and the little prince. Sprachtypologie und Universalienforschung 53.1: 53-61.
  Stolz, Thomas & Stroh, Cornelia & Urdze, Aina (2003). Solidaritäten. Lingua Posnaniensis 45: 69-92.
  van der Auwera, Johan & Schalley, Eva & Nuyts, Jan (2005). Epistemic possibility in a Slavonic parallel corpus - a pilot study. In Hansen, Björn & Karlík, Petr (eds.), Modality in Slavonic languages. New Perspectives. München: Verlag Otto Sagner., 201-217.
  Strömqvist, Sven & Verhoeven, Ludo, eds. (2004). Relating events in narrative, Vol. 2: Typological and contextual perspectives. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
  Thieberger, Nicholas Augustus. (2004). Topics in the grammar and documentation of South Efate, an Oceanic language of Central Vanuatu. Melbourne: University of Melbourne.
  Vries, Lourens de (forthc.). Some remarks on the use of Bible translations as parallel texts in linguistic research. In Cysouw & Wälchli (forthc.).
  Wälchli, Bernhard. (2005). Co-compounds and natural coordination. Oxford Studies in Typology and Linguistic Theory. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
  Wälchli, Bernhard. (2006). Typology of light and heavy 'again', or, the eternal return of the same. Studies in Language 30, 1: 69-113.
  Wälchli, Bernhard (in prep.) Descriptive typology, or, the typologist's expanded toolkit. http://ling.uni-konstanz.de/pages/home/a20_11/waelchli/waelchli-desctyp.pdf
  Woodbury, Anthony (2003). Defining documentary linguistics. In Peter Austin (ed.) Language Documentation and Description. Vol.1, 35-51. London: SOAS.
  <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
  <!--[endif]-->