Doubled preposition in NPs

Bernhard Waelchli Bernhard.Waelchli at UNI-KONSTANZ.DE
Fri Jul 14 12:29:51 UTC 2006

Dear Wolfgang

>  As soon as the features I have mentioned disappear canonically, we
> would arrive at a 'doubled preposition construction'.
Are you interested in doubled postposition constructions as well?
Hungarian is a case in point. Here are two examples from an elementary
textbook.

az elo"tt a ház
elo"tt
that in.front ART house in.front
‘in front of that
house’

e mögött az oszlop mögött
this behind ART column behind
‘behind this column’

There is agreement only with demonstratives, not with attributive
adjectives, as with cases, and some sources say that the agreement of
demonstratives with postpositions is optional. I am sure many other
members of this list know much more about Hungarian than I. But with
demonstratives, I can imagine, it is rather difficult to get a clearly
non-referential context.

Kind regards,
Bernhard

--