Volitional patients

Willem Hollmann w.hollmann at LANCASTER.AC.UK
Wed Mar 22 18:23:17 UTC 2006

Hi Åshild

Peter Cole wrote an interesting article in 1983 about the marking of
causees. In case you're not familiar with it, he shows that if a language
displays coding differences in terms of causee case marking, they can be
accounted in terms of agentivity. Agentivity isn't exactly the same as
volitionality, but they are related. One of Cole's examples is from
Japanese:

(i)  Taroo ga Ziroo  o ik-ase-ta
 Taro NOM Jiro ACC  caused to go
 ‘Taro caused Jiro to go’ (Cole 1983:125)
(ii) Taroo ga Ziroo  ni ik-ase-ta
 Taro NOM Jiro DAT caused to go
 ‘Taro caused Jiro to go’ (ibid.)

According to Cole in (i) the “the subject of the matrix clause is
indifferent to whether the complement subject consents to go” (Cole
1983:125), while (ii) “may be used when the complement willingly carries
out the action in question” (ibid.). He goes on to present similar data
from Kannada, Modern Hebrew and Hungarian, and suggests that Bolivian
Quechua is especially interesting as it features a three-way formal
distinction in terms of causee agency (although the intermediate degree
seems to be very restricted in terms of the verbs that may display it). He
also argues that while in e.g. Italian there's also a (two-way)
distinction, there it represents the *grammaticalisation* of agency.

(iii) Maria fa scrivere Gianni (DO)
 Maria makes to write Johnny
 ‘Maria makes Johnny write’ (Cole 1983:126)
(iv) Maria fa scrivere la lettera (DO) a Gianni (IO)
 Maria makes to write the letter  to Johnny
 ‘Maria makes Johnny write the letter’ (ibid.)

The IO marking on the causee in (iv) is due to the fact that subjects of
transitive verbs are typically agents.

Related to the notion of volitionality and agency is the concept of causee
resistance. This notion seems to be implicit in Wolfgang Schulze's
message, and is more or less explicitly discussed in quite a lot of
literature on causatives, e.g. Terasawa (1985), Dixon (2000),
Stefanowitsch (2001). I also talk about it a bit in my thesis (Hollmann
2003, cf. also in press). Of course resistance isn't the same as
volitionality (or more precisely the lack thereof). Still, in practical
terms (i.e. the analysis of examples, especially real, attested examples),
I often find it quite hard to tease them apart.

Best

Willem