Volitional patients

Suzanne Kemmer kemmer at RICE.EDU
Wed Mar 22 19:57:38 UTC 2006

In a 1994 paper on causative constructions,
Arie Verhagen and I discussed the accusative/dative
case alternations in causatives in typological perspective
(as described in work by Comrie, Cole, Saksena,
and others).

We related these alternations to the accusative/dative
alternations in simple, non-causative clauses found in Japanese and
other languages,
which show semantic parallels. The relations have to do with the
meanings of the case markers, language-specifically
(and at a higher level of generalization, cross-linguistically),
and the meanings of the constructions
in which they occur. Simple two-participant clauses are in specific
ways parallel
to causative clauses, structurally and semantically.

The reference:
Kemmer, Suzanne and Arie Verhagen. “The Grammar of Causatives and the
Conceptual Structure of Events.” Cognitive Linguistics 5(2), 115-156.
1994.
Reprinted in Mouton Classics, Vol. 2: From Syntax to Cognition, Mouton
de Gruyter, 2002

--Suzanne

Suzanne Kemmer
713-348-6225