publishing fieldwork data

Peter Austin pa2 at SOAS.AC.UK
Tue Apr 17 11:06:27 UTC 2007

Dear Martin,

I don't particularly like the labels "field linguists", "typologists", "theoreticians" and the divisions they suggest (which camp do I have to assign myself to, I wonder), but be that as it may, there are communities of researchers who over the past six years at least have been discussing the issues you raise - there have been various workshops and publications from the E-MELD project and the OLAC and DELAMAN archives groups (including the workshop at Paradisec that Ashild mentioned) that have addressed many of the relevant topics of recognition, citability, accessibility, standardization, cross-searchability, and preservation.

DELAMAN has been discussing the development of a persistent identifier system and bibliographical format for archival objects that would allow them to be cited and listed on people's CVs (URLs are of course notoriously unreliable for referencing resources) - Heidi Johnson and Linda Barwick have been leading the discussion on this. E-MELD and others have discussed standardisation, resource discovery and cross-searchability issues, and preservation has been a major topic for language archives across the world. OLAC has run tutorials many recent LSA meetings in the US to promote understanding of these issues among the general linguistic community there - one I was involved in a couple of years ago had a packed house of keen participants.

One could suggest several possible reasons why there aren't 'piles of data out there' provided by fieldworkers for other scholars to mine:

1. a concern about "drive by typologists" who take primary data and analyses for their own use without recognising or giving anything back to the researcher who collected and prepared the data originally;

2. a need to take care with proper recognition of intellectual property rights and moral rights (of both speakers and analysts) that some researchers simply feel has been lacking in the past.

Note also that archiving (ie. creating well structured archival objects with associated metadata to be placed in a trusted repository) is *not* the same as publishing (including web publication) - the structure and format of archive files and publication files is likely to be quite different, for example.

To my mind, a very positive development has been the recent decision of at least one major linguistics journal to require bibliographical citation of original sources for all example sentences in papers, and the encouragement of referencing for archival materials. The development of e-journals and repositories where data sets can be uploaded and referenced is also quite recent and positive. As researchers publish their secondary, tertiary and n-ary analyses with proper citation and recognition of primary sources and archival data an environment may well be created where those who collect and analyse primary data feel less reluctant to make their materials more widely available.

Best,
Peter K. Austin

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Haspelmath <haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE>
To: LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:58:52 +0200
Subject: Re: publishing fieldwork data

Yes, the issue of data publication also arises in field linguistics in a
similar way. It has been my impression that since there are many more
field linguists than typologists, and since there are some large-scale
initiatives such as DoBeS (Volkswagen Foundation) and ELP (Rausing
Foundation/SOAS), field linguists have talked much more about these
issues. At least they have invested a lot of effort into creating
archives for field data such as AILLA, the DoBeS archive and the ELAR
(ELP archive).

However, it is unclear to me whether or how these archives address the
need to fulfill the five traditional roles of paper publication:
recognition, citability, accessibility, standardization, and
cross-searchability. It seems that they mostly address a sixth role
(that I had forgotten to mention in my original posting), permanence
(though fieldworkers also seem to have discussed the issue of
standardization).

So I wonder whether someone can explain why those fieldworkers that do
care about modern electronic methods (in my perception, the vast
majority) have not devoted a lot of energy to electronic publication.
Wouldn't it be great if anyone could read (and even cross-search) all
those texts that fieldworkers have gathered and annotated? If one could
refer to these texts as real publications, and if the researchers could
put them on their CV along with the other publications?

Martin

>>> (http://languagelink.let.uu.nl/burs/index.php), the Graz Reduplication

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6

atabases created by a smaller team, it may be
>>> desirable to specifiy more precisely which author did what. In
>>> traditional paper publications, we had two kinds of units, articles and
>>> books, which could be single-authored or multi-authored (occasionally
>>> with some ranking of the authors). Maybe it would be desirable to allow
>>> more different units, and more different roles (e.g. content provider
>>> vs. database designer?).
>>>
>>> Any ideas how typologists should go about solving the
Prof Peter K. Austin
Marit Rausing Chair in Field Linguistics
Director, Endangered Languages Academic Program
Department of Linguistics, SOAS
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square
London WC1H 0XG
United Kingdom