publishing fieldwork data

Margaret Dunham madunham at CLUB-INTERNET.FR
Tue Apr 17 11:40:15 UTC 2007

The LACITO archive is indeed a wonderful source for annotated texts,
freely accessible to researchers and speakers alike, but unfortunately
it is in the process of being updated, so please have some patience
before trying to access it!

To address the issues raised by Peter Austin - in my opinion, the best
way to have one's work acknowledged is to make it freely accessible, as
notoriety makes plagiarism more difficult, and easier to point out.

The question of ethics is more delicate, but in my experience, people
are delighted to make their knowledge accessible (blogs are one example
of this), especially if their grandchildren, who in a lot of cases will
have stopped speaking the language, can come back later and listen, and
understand!

Does anyone know if the ELP, DoBeS, AILLA, etc. archives will eventually
be opened to the public?

Yours,
Margaret Dunham