Marker for direct objects

Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at LRZ.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Fri Apr 20 14:21:49 UTC 2007

Dear Giorgio,
if you also take into consideration the type of O-Split that is based on
genitives/partitives conceptually (and, in parts, formally) derived from
ablatives, the number of your examples will increase considerably (too
many to name them here). The notion 'ablative' is strongly related to
the conceptualization of meronymy and separation. O-splits using the
concept of 'separation' (or partition > partitive) are often based on
pragmatic features, indicating that a referent in in O function is
accessible/affected only 'in parts', but not in terms of the 'whole'.
The pragmatic function underlying this split may be derived (with human
beings) from features of honorifics - with non-animates, the part-whole
frame of (conceptually) mass/set nouns plays the major role (compare
French 'de/du' etc.).
Best wishes,
Wolfgang

Giorgio Iemmolo schrieb:

> Dear linguists,
>
> I am working on differential object marking in Gallo-siculo dialects
> of Sicily, that are northern Italian dialects spoken in
> central-eastern Sicily. In all Romance languages, except Rumanian that
> use "pe", the marker for definite objects is the preposition "a" (with
> the meaning of "motion to, recipient")  likewise in Sicilian. But, in
> Gallosiculo dialects I found the prepositions "da", used in Italian
> with the meaning of "motion from" or express passive agent.
> Do anyone know a language that has grammaticalized a preposition with
> similar meanings to mark direct object? I found only an example, in
> Shughnu (spoken in Tajikistan), where the marker arises from an
> original ablative particle.
>
> I will appreciate any hint.
>

> Giorgio Iemmolo

Prof. Dr. Wolfgang
Schulze

Primary contact:

Institut für Allgemeine & Typologische Sprachwissenschaft

Dept. II / F 13

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1

D-80539 München