Marker for direct objects

Nicholas Ostler nostler at CHIBCHA.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Apr 20 16:20:12 UTC 2007

In many languages (most accessibly, French and Russian) the genitive
marker (which in French at least is derived from an ablative preposition
de) is used to mark some ('partitive') direct objects. Such a marker
(de, genitive) is also often used (perhaps in other languages) to
connote 'about', as in French 'racontez-moi de votre pere', ancient
Greek 'eipe de moi patros' 'tell me about your father'. (Genitive is the
case with ablative sense in ancient Greek.)

I suppose either of these could be relevant to your GalloSiculan case.

Nicholas Ostler

--
Nicholas Ostler

Chairman, Foundation for Endangered Languages
Registered Charity: England and Wales 1070616
172 Bailbrook Lane, Bath, BA1 7AA, England
nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk
http://www.ogmios.org