Pronouns: follow up

Michael Noonan noonan at CSD.UWM.EDU
Wed Aug 8 22:56:18 UTC 2007

Florian et al:

This discussion has reminded me of two additional Eurasian [in the
broadest sense] examples of pronoun borrowing:

1. In Malay, college students some years ago started using English 'you'
and 'I' in order to avoid the social awkwardness [for moderns] of
traditional Malay pronominal usage. There are numerous discussions of
the phenomenon and how it has spread, but an easily accessed one
discussing the current sociolinguistic situation is:

http://www.sil.org/asia/philippines/ical/papers/othman-Current%20Trends%20in%20Pronoun%20Usage.pdf

2. The second example involves the borrowing of honorific pronouns from a
local prestige language.  The Munda language Korku borrowed Hindu
honorific 'you' a:p, for example.

Mickey Noonan

Michael Noonan
Professor of Linguistics