Pronouns: follow up

Harald Hammarström harald at BOMBO.SE
Fri Aug 17 16:12:54 UTC 2007

Dear Florian et al.,
Since the discussion drifted away from Eurasia I might mention a few
more cases from the literature.

It is assumed that Gumuz (all varieties) 1p pl excl is borrowed from a
noun meaning family in a local variety of Arabic, because of the
phonetic and semantic plausibility and the lack of a Nilo-Saharan [sic!]
cognate for the form in question. For details see:

Ahland, Colleen Anne 2004 Linguistic Variation Within Gumuz: A Study of the
Relationship Between Historical Change and Intelligibility (Ethiopia,
Sudan, MA University of Texas at Arlington

Also as to clusivity, I remember reading somewhere about borrowing of
clusivity, if not of actual forms, in coastal New Guinea from Austronesian
into non-Austronesian, e.g. Inanwatan. There are probably more cases from
Bomberai peninsula but I cannot check from where I am sitting right now --
maybe others can fill in.

Lastly, there are many suggestions of pronoun borrowing (of all kinds) in
the Bird's Head area, according to Voorhoeve. I say suggestions because,
even though they made it into the literature, I find hardly one of the
cases compelling. Details see:

Voorhoeve, C. L. The Masked Bird: Linguistic Relations in the Bird's Head
Area. In: Haenen, Paul; Pouwer, Jan, Editors. Peoples on the Move: Current
Themes of Anthropological Research in New Guinea. Nijmegen: University of
Nijmegen, Centre for Australian and Oceanic Studies; 1989: 78-101.

all the best,