word order of cardinals

bingfu Lu lubingfu at YAHOO.COM
Sat Aug 18 15:15:33 UTC 2007

Dear colleagues,
  I colleague of mine is investigating the word order of ordinal numerals. Based on her database of 112 languages in China, she got the following implicational universal: If ordinal numeral precedes the head noun, cardinal numerals does as well. Her data as shown below:
  Ord-N & Card-N 53
  N-Ord & N-Card 52
  N-Ord & Card-N 15
  N-Ord & N-Card 0
  (some languages has two order, therefore, the total numbers of languages above is larger than 112).  We want to know the possible counterexample and relevant literature and data in other languages.
  In addition, in some languages, cardinals morphologically belongs to adjectives, such as Russian.  We also need to know other languages where cardinals morphologically as adjectives.

  Replies to this inquiry can be send to my colleague Renping Jiang (renpingjiang at 126.com) and me.
  If correspondents is enough, we will make a summary.

  Bingfu Lu
  Institute of Linguistics