nasality and negation

Matthew Dryer dryer at BUFFALO.EDU
Fri Aug 31 15:19:40 UTC 2007

I think we need to be careful in a number of ways about what constitutes
relevant evidence regarding the hypothesis of an association between
negation and nasality.  First, anecdotal citations of examples of languages
without nasals in negative morphemes are largely irrelevant.  Even lists of
negative morphemes in hundreds of languages would tell us little (unless
the association were so strong that most languages had nasals in negative
morphemes, but that does not appear to be the case).  Such lists would tell
us little for two reasons.  First, it could be the case that only a
minority of languages have nasals in negative morphemes but that there is
still a statistically significant association between nasality and
negation, namely if nasals still occur significantly more often in negative
morphemes than in other types of morphemes.  Second, unless one controls
for genealogical and areal relationships, the appearance of an association
or lack of an association might be an artifact of one's sample.  Solving
those problems is not a trivial matter, as I have argued in various
publications.  Larry Hyman's observation that there are a very large number
of Niger-Congo languages without nasals in negative morphemes is quite
beside the point.  To the contrary, what we need to do is to avoid
examining too many languages from the same family precisely in order to
factor out the distorting effects of large families.  Finally note that if
we were to examine the hypothesis seriously, we would also have to control
for length of morphemes.  It is quite possible, for example, that nasals
occur in words meaning 'dog' significantly more often than in negative
morphemes only because morphemes meaning 'dog' tend to be longer than
negative morphemes.  The hypothesis deserves to be tested, but doing so
would not be trivial, and would require collecting data on other sorts of
morphemes as well in order to test whether negative morphemes have nasals
more often than other morphemes.

Matthew Dryer