Internal versus External Negation

Robert Cloutier kankoku at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 21 10:04:19 UTC 2007

Hello everyone,

I am investigating negation in Korean and was wondering if anyone knew of a language that distinguishes "internal" versus "external" negation.  I would also be happy to know what terms this distinction goes by.

In Korean, there are two basic negative markers: an and mos.  One implies that an action did not occur due to the will of the subject while the other implies that an action did not occur due to external factors.

(1)  na-neun chaek-eul an     sa-sseo.
      I-TOP    book-ACC NEG buy-PAST
     "I did not buy a/the book." (i.e., I had an opportunity to buy the book, but I didn't.)
(2)  na-neun chaek-eul mos sa-sseo.
      I-TOP    book-ACC NEG buy-PAST
     "I did not buy a/the book OR I couldn't buy a/the book"  (i.e., I didn't have a chance to buy the book.)

I'm curious to see if this distinction is found in other languages, how it manifests itself, and how it is described/analyzed.  References to books/articles or to languages would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

Robert A. Cloutier
Amsterdam Center for Language and Communication/Department of Dutch Studies
PC Hoofthuis, room 429
Spuistraat 134
1012 VB  Amsterdam
Netherlands
+31 20 525 3219
[r]{dot}[a]{dot}[cloutier]{at}[uva]{dot}[nl]
http://home.medewerker.uva.nl/r.a.cloutier/