appositive relative clauses

Lutz Gunkel gunkel at IDS-MANNHEIM.DE
Wed Jul 18 17:19:42 UTC 2007

 Nigel wrote:

>Indeed my question to Lutz would be: if an appositive relative doesn't have
a relative pronoun or particle why would we want to call it a relative in
the first place?

OK. But what about languages where the relative pronoun or particle is
optional under certain circumstances. In English and Swedish, for instance,
the relative particle may be omitted in sentences such as (i)

(i) Money (that) you have in the bank yields interest.

Given that we find structures like (i) with *restrictive* relatives in some
language, is it conceivable that we would find a corresponding structure
with *appositive* relatives (in the sense of restrictive and appositive
indicated by Nigel)?

Best,

Lutz